Employee from a country outside the EU/EEA

To work in Norway, you need to have the legal right to take up employment here.

Foto: Morten Rakke / Helfo

Learn more from this online guide: «Work in Norway – The Official Guide».

Before travelling to Norway, you should check with the Norwegian Directorate of Foreign Affairs if you require any special permits or are subject to any special rules.

Membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme

If you take up employment in Norway, you will be enrolled automatically in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. This entitles you to healthcare in accordance with the rules in Norway: You will be covered for necessary expenses on health services from the national health service, and you have to pay user fees for treatment in the same way as Norwegians do. 

Questions about membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme?  For information, visit the NAV (Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration) website.

Employees on the Norwegian Continental Shelf

As an employee working on the Norwegian Continental Shelf who is resident outside the EU/EEA, you will be enrolled as a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme and will be entitled to extended subsidisation. If you have dependant family members, they are only entitled to limited healthcare if they are resident in Norway, and they do not gain entitlement to healthcare in other countries through your membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.

If you have incurred expenses on healthcare, we recommend that you start by reading the online article on extended subsidisation before sending in 

«Application for extended subsidisation of healthcare abroad 05-24.09» English

your application together with the required documentation, to Helfo. This must be done within six months of each treatment date. Your employer must complete Section 4 of the application form if the expenses were covered by the employer.

The application must be supported by

  • the necessary original documentation concerning your state of health, medical diagnostics and any treatment
  • documentation of the types of treatments carried out
  • original receipts for all expenses
  • documentation that the expenses have been paid

Send your application to: Helfo, Postboks 2415, 3104 Tønsberg

Employee posted to Norway

​If you have been posted as an employee to Norway, you must check with your country of ordinary residence which rules apply to you .