Du har en nettleser som vi ikke støtter. Les om godkjente OS/nettleserversjoner

Hopp til hovedmeny Hopp til innholdet

Poisonous mushrooms in Norway

Edible mushrooms, inedible mushrooms and poisonous mushrooms all grow in the forest. Some of the most poisonous mushrooms that grow in this country can be very similar to the edible mushrooms in other countries. Contact the Poison Information (22 59 13 00) if you suspect poisoning.

""
Amanita muscaria var. muscaria.
Foto: Per Marstad
​​​​Good advice when picking mushrooms:

 
  • Only eat mushrooms you are 100% sure are safe.
  • Never try to taste an unknown mushroom! Even a poisonous mushroom can have a mild flavour.
  • Use up to date literature on mushroom.
  • Throw away all worm-eaten or rotten mushrooms.

Poisonous mushroom group 1

Toxicity

Even very small amounts of these three mushrooms can cause severe poisoning. After a minimum period of 6 hours, an explosive, watery diarrhoea, abdominal pain and vomiting starts. There is a high risk of life-threatening liver damage within 2 - 3 days. If you suspect you have ingested this mushroom, contact the Norwegian Poison Information (22 59 13 00) for advice regarding further follow-up.

 

Destroying angel

Amanita virosa
(Norwegian: Hvit fluesopp)

The entire mushroom is white (cap, stem, gills and flesh). On the stem there is a ring, but this might fall off. The base of the stem has a sheating volva (bag). The mushroom is common in woodland.

 

 

Death cap

Amanita phalloides
(Norwegian: Grønn fluesopp)

The colour of the cap can vary from green to brown and yellow. The gills and the stem are white. On the stem there is a ring, but this might fall off. The base of the stem has a sheating volva (bag). The mushroom is rare.

 

 

Funeral bell

Galerina marginata
(Norwegian: Flatklokkehatt)

The cap and gills are yellow–brown. The stem varies from grey to brown. This is a small mushroom, usually found in clusters on bark and tree stumps. The mushroom is common.

 

 

 

Poisonous mushroom group 2

​Toxicity

Even a very small amount of the two webcaps contains enough poison to cause severe kidney damage. The symptoms of poisoning do not appear until minimum 2 days later consisting of nausea, abdominal pain, malaise and increased or reduced amount of urine. There is a high risk of developing severe kidney failure within a period of 3 – 10 days. If you suspect  you have ingested this mushroom, contact the Norwegian Poison Information (22 59 13 00) for advice regarding further follow-up.

deadly webcap.pngDeadly webcap

Cortinarius rubellus
(Norwegian: Spiss giftslørsopp)

The entire mushroom is reddish-brown (cap, stem, gills and flesh). This mushroom is common in woodland.


 


 

fool’s webcap.pngFool’s webcap

Cortinarius orellanus
(Norwegian: Butt giftslørsopp)

Looks like the deadly webcap, but has a rounded cap. This is a rare mushroom growing in deciduous forests.

 


 

webcaps.pngDangerous misidentification​​


Deadly webcap grow in the same places as the edible Trumpet chanterelle (Craterellus tubaeformis), and the two species are similar in colour (see photo). It is important to check each individual mushroom you collect to make sure the deadly webcap does not get mixed in with any edible chanterelles you find. 

 


 

Poisonous mushroom group 3

red fly agaric.png Red fly agaric / brown fly agaric / panther agaric

Amanita muscaria var. muscaria / var. regalis / pantherina
(Norwegian: Rød / Brun / Panter fluesopp)

These mushrooms have white gills and a stem with a ring. The base of  the stem  is bulbous. The cap is reddish or brownish in colour, usually with white spots.​​​

Toxicity

These three agaric mushrooms contain a toxin that affects the nervous system. The symptoms usually appear within a period of  ½ - 3 hours after ingestion. Small amounts ingested may cause confusion, dizziness and stomach upsets. Poisoning  is rare, but ingesting a larger amount can cause muscle tremors and other symptoms requiring hospital treatment. 

 

orange birch bolete.png

Orange birch bolete

Leccinum versipelle
(Norwegian: Rødskrubb) 

This bolete has a reddish-brown cap and black scales on a white stem. The flesh of the mushroom darkens when cut. The mushroom  is common throughout the country.

Toxicity

​​Orange birch bolete is edible if heat-treated for a minimum of 15 minutes. Orange birch bolete that has not been heated sufficiently is probably the mushroom that causes most cases of stomach upsets in Norway. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain typically occur a few hours after ingestion. The symptoms usually pass within 1-2 days. Ingestion of large amounts may cause severe gastric distress and require hospitalisation. ​

​​
brown roll-rim.pngBrown roll-rim​​

Paxillus involutus
(Norwegian: Pluggsopp) 

This mushroom has a brown cap with an inrolled rim, brown stem and gills that become dark when applying pressure.  Brown roll-rim is very common.

Toxicity

​Brown roll-rim contains several different toxins and can produce varying symptoms. Vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain may occur ½ - 3 hours after ingesting raw mushrooms. Following repeated  ingestion of heath-treated Brown roll-rim there have been observation of serious poisoning with damage to blood cells and kidneys.

 

Get a copy of the brochure

​This information was produced by the Norwegian Poison Information Centre (www.giftinfo.no). An unabridged version in Norwegian is available to order as a printed booklet or to download from the website.

The Norwegian mycological and useful plants association (www.soppognyttevekster.no), organises practical courses on mushroom identification. ​

Download a free brochure in your own language